Safety Guidelines & Proper Care
Because of their size and ease of use, small ventless fireplaces fueled by ethanol have been growing in popularity over the course of the past couple of years. Bio-fuel fireplaces are great options for adding ambiance, warmth and design elements to smaller apartments and houses alike. If your home is lacking a fireplace, flueless fireplaces are the perfect solution. The bio-ethanol fuel burns cleanly without soot or smoke, and does not require any special venting or chimneys. Simply place in a well-ventilated room and enjoy.
Using your new personal fireplace safely is very important. While these do not produce any harmful or toxic elements, they do produce real flames and therefore caution should be used when using a gel fuel fireplace. While these modern-inspired pieces are great to look at, it’s important to use proper caution when lighting and using the fireplace. Follow these easy steps to light your personal fireplace.
Lighting the fireplace:
- Remove the snuffer tool from the burner and ensure the burner is clean.
- Fill the burner with approved bio-ethanol fuel until it is no more than 2/3 full.
- Use a long lighter to light the fuel. Make sure to keep an arm’s length away when lighting.
- Make sure to keep the fuel a safe distance away from the fireplace, approximately 1 meter or 40 inches away.
- Fuel will burn low at first. Within 10-15 minutes, the flames will reach optimum height. Avoid drafts for a longer burning time.
Once you are done using the fireplace, you will need to extinguish the flames. There are easy steps to follow for this as well, make sure not to touch the fireplace until it has completely cooled. Also, we recommend keeping a class B fire extinguisher on-hand when operating the ventless fireplace and never attempt to put out the flames with water.
Extinguishing the fire:
- If possible, let the fuel burn out completely. This prevents any fuel being left in the burner as well as deflagration the next time it is used.
- If necessary, use the snuffer tool to completely cover the burner opening until it has completely burned out.
- If the flame does not immediately go out, keep using the snuffer tool to extinguish the flame.
- Do not touch the fireplace until it has cooled for at least 15 minutes after the fire has been completely extinguished.
- If you find you need to refill the burner, ensure it has been completely extinguished and cooling for at least 15 minutes prior to refilling.
- Do not pour fuel into a burner that is already lit or still warm.
If you find you need to refill the burner, ensure it has been completely extinguished and cooling for at least 15 minutes prior to refilling. Do not pour fuel into a burner that is already lit or still warm.
Refilling the burner:
- Allow the burner to cool down completely for at least 15 minutes before refilling.
- Follow the instructions for lighting the fireplace above.
Like any other appliance, bio-ethanol fireplaces need cleaning and maintenance too. This is fairly easy. Simply follow the steps below.
Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Never clean the fireplace while it is operating or still hot.
- Clean any spilled fuel up immediately with a dry cloth followed by a water-dampened cloth. Allow area to dry before using the fireplace.
- Dispose of any empty bio-ethanol containers in a manner that is within local regulations for hazardous materials.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the exterior of your fireplace.
- Glass cleaner can be used for the glass panes of your fireplace.
- Marks on the burner can be removed with a soft cloth and a mixture of warm water and a small amount of cleaner.
- Do not use steel wool or scrubbing sponges to clean the fireplace; doing so will scratch the surface.
Indoor fireplaces, are they safe? Yes, when proper safety precautions are taken indoor fireplaces are safe to have and use. Like any other product that produces flames, there are important safety rules to take into account while using. Keep yourself safe by not handling the fireplace while it is still hot, keep it away from flammable objects and keep the unit in a well-ventilated space. More information on safety rules is listed below.
- Fireplace and burner will get hot while operating, there is a risk of burns if it does not cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Never pour fuel into open flames or burner reservoir unless it has cooled for at least 15 minutes.
- Do not place any flammable material within 40 inches of the fireplace and at least 80 inches from windows or curtains.
- Do not burn under overhanging items such as TVs, paintings, or shelves. Do not smoke while handling the fuel.
- Only use in well-ventilated rooms with doors of the adjacent room open and do not obstruct air flow to the burner.
- Only use approved bio-ethanol fuel to operate the fireplace. Never use gasoline.
- Do not store the fuel in the same area as the fireplace.
- Do not use the fireplace as a means to cook. Also, do not place charcoal, wood, paper or other combustible items into the burner.
- Keep the fireplaces away from children, clothing, and furniture.